UHF Antenna

Submitted: Friday, May 03, 2024 at 08:48
ThreadID: 147632 Views:1191 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
Hello.
Is there much difference in UHF antenna quality and performance.
I have changed my GME radio from the Prado into the Dmax and dont want to go to the effort of removing the old antenna.
The GME antennas and base seem like a lot of money.
Any thoughts or recommendations please.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 09:16

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 09:16
There is very little difference between the different brands of antenna of similar style and size, electrically. There may be some lasting qualities in rough conditions but I am not prepared to comment there. When it comes to rugged style broomstick styles, I think they are a bit of a wank, particularly in the smaller gain sizes.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645783

Follow Up By: Member - William B - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 09:29

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 09:29
Thanks for the reply PeterD.
I was thinking the same thing.
Generally we only use the radio on the highway for over size loads and trucks.
William

FollowupID: 926153

Reply By: RMD - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 09:57

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 09:57
G'day William.
I am not a retired radio technician. but have an RFI normal whip with a loaded base. Sold to me by Radio BUG owner in Torrens Rd Adelaide. He said the long poles are rubbish. His recommendation was NOT to fit to bullbar, but have it up high on a roof bar bracket. Centre roof if possible.
That has performed well. Once south of Oodnadatta here the late Adam Plate arrived and said UHF don't work here. He couldn't believe I was talking to his wife and hearing her voice about 60KM away.
Another time I was high up on a range in QLD at a truck accident. Contacted Undara Lava tube reception over 70km away for emergency services. QuIte happy with RFI. AS mentioned, other may be similar.
AnswerID: 645784

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 10:13

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 10:13
If your only using for communicating with trucks then just about anything will do.

Off road I have found a good quailty broom sticks give superior peformance and is more robust. I found a couple of quailty small units just couldn't handle the vibration on my Prado, after a couple of yers the stainless steel section just fatigued and broke off. Haven't found any issues with the broom stick and it has always out performed antennas on other vehicles in the convoys we have been on giving clear communications with when others couldn't hear other vehicles comong our way.

I have also found quailty of some units could be better even in the dearer brands, I have had what are supposed to be stainless steel springs rust on a couple of units. If you find a good brand stick to it.

Personnaly I like the RFI units.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645785

Reply By: Member - William B - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 11:58

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 11:58
Thank you every one for their input.

Another question if I may, before I rush out and spend any money I have located in the garage a GME elevated feed mount with spring and a RFI elevated feed mount with spring.

I have had them for so long I can't remember what they where for.

I there any difference between a 27mhz CB elevated feed and a UHF one. (Did cb radio have these?)

Thanks in advance.
William

AnswerID: 645786

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 14:32

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 14:32
William. Can't see the aerials but 27Mh and UHF are very different. The UHF are tuned to the frequency like the 27Mh but UHF are specific length in each case, so it matches multiples of the frequency length. None of my earlier 27Mh had loaded bases, they were usually tuned to length by surgery and using a SWR meter.
Not sure if this helps. I am not a radio tech!
FollowupID: 926154

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 16:27

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 16:27
The metal section of the base part between the insulators will be about 150mm on a uhf, close to 1/4 wavelength around 477Mhz. And the coax inner conductor and outer shield will test as open cct.

I don't know of any elevated feed 27Mhz antennas, they are base loaded and usually metre as a dc short cct.
FollowupID: 926157

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 15:09

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 15:09
I think there is a difference in quality of standard "whip" type ones. We had a GME 6.6dB / 640mm long one that broke after thousands of kilometers of corrugations. The replacement, a cheap one from Repco (all we could find on a Saturday in Alice Springs), lasted about 15kms of corrugations before it broke.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645787

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 16:35

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 16:35
Peter mcc
Sounds like they were mounted on a bullbar where the vibes are constant and horrendous. Stainless steel will work harden and fracture fairy quickly.
FollowupID: 926158

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 17:19

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 17:19
RMD - yes, mounted on bullbar but both were fibreglass whips. The cheap one vibratated a lot more than the GME one (until it didn't)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926160

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 17:23

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 17:23
Sorry...but I beg to be different. I have had a GME stainless aerial on the last 3 fourbies ( the one with the wound loads in the middle...(1 for 4db...and one with 2 loads for 6db )...the same one only for about 30 years....has been faultless until a bloody galah clobbered it about 2 months ago. It was the base load module that broke....but I figured that it was its time . I have ordered and fitted a new one exactly the same....All the vehicles had it fitted to Bullbar...I could always get signal with anyone else no matter where....with in reason.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926161

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 07:50

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 07:50
Some years back, William, a group of us were heading east on the French Line, towards Knolls turnoff, and we made a position report: “4 vehicles, heading East…..etc” and received a reply from a couple who had not long left Poeppel Corner. Their signal just boomed in, almost as if they were only 1-2kms away, instead of maybe 40kms.
When we finally met them, they had an extended gain whip aerial, about 900mm long. This is the type I would recommend for general use for town & country.

As for broomstick units, we’ve used numerous brands, and they do work. RFI make a good range of aerials. GME broomsticks didn’t last, we found, on continual dirt road use.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645794

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 11:40

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 11:40
Bob, a 900 mm antenna is only about 4.5 dB gain. I would expect the gain of the antenna did not have much to do with the good propagation range, I suspect both of you were on country that was higher than the country between the two of you. Good elevations with nothing between works wonders. There is a hill near Murrumbeteman which is around 180 km from the Ch2 CB repeater on Mount Canobolas where any reasonable antenna can reach the repeater.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926165

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 13:16

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 13:16
True, Peter. That part of French Line is as you suggested, high point at either end, & level country in between.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926182

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 07:59

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 07:59
Hi William,

Let me state that I am not an expert in these matters, but I have been using CB & now UHF radios in vehicles for nearly 45 years. One thing is certain, the very best quality UHF Radio will not perform well without a decent quality antenna. Of course, the problem is finding a good quality antenna. GME are good quality, and from all accounts, so is RFI. I have a GME that has seen the Telegraph Road including The Old Telegraph Track, The GCR, The Tanami Track, The Oodnadatta track, the Simpson Desert, crossing a couple of times in both directions.

The 2 or 3 metre long “broomsticks” that can be found on some vehicles, particularly Utes with massive bullbars, are a complete waste of time and money, and do very little in the way of reception. The length of the “mast” is not as important as the actual length of wire that is the actual antenna, and the quality of the construction.

As for positioning the antenna, the middle of the roof is considered to be the ideal location, however this is not always possible owing to Roof Racks etc. Also being in the centre of the roof, it is more likely to be struck by low hanging branches etc, or in underground carparks. You can get mounting brackets that attach to the side of a roof rack (or the bullbar) that are able to be folded down when low lying obstacles are present.

As has been pointed out, the bullbar can be subjected to a lot of vibration, particularly the outer edges. If the bullbar is the only place you can mount the antenna, I would suggest the centre of the bullbar would be a better choice than the outer edges. There is likely to be less side to side “rocking” in the centre.

Regards, Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645795

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 23:15

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 23:15
All waffle aside, UHF is line of sight only
AnswerID: 645802

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 05:54

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 05:54
Ivan,
You should know better than that.
You can't state facts here, nobody will believe you, laws of physics don't exist in internet forums.
The "I imagine" or "in my opinion" or "I had one that..." crowd will have a field day with it.
FollowupID: 926173

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 10:50

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 10:50
"UHF is line of sight only" - That is the line we feed to the uninitiated. When you have studied the subject, you come to realise there are other things that come into play - frequently. Firstly, radio line of sight is further than eyeball line of sight. When it comes to a radio path, you add the radio length of sight at each end of the path. Then there are the effects of diffraction, reflection and ducting that frequently extend the range of transmission. These happen more frequently than people realise. For instance, ducting is what causes confusion truckies on CB Ch 40 between the New England and Pacific Highways. Many people are astounded with the distance they may be communicating without realising that one or more of those effects are taking place.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926178

Reply By: Member - William B - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 14:32

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 14:32
Thank you every one for their input.

I decided to go with what I all ready had on hand.

In the end I fitted the RFI unit, reasons being that the RFI had a black spring (that parts is purely looks) and it has a smaller connector on the end which will make it easier to feed through the firewall grommet.

William

AnswerID: 645808

Sponsored Links