Land Cruiser 300 bull bar help

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 00:52
ThreadID: 147594 Views:956 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
Hello All,

I am looking for some help and guidance for choosing the right bullbar for my new land cruiser.
I just took delivery of LC300 VX this week. I got the pre rego basic GVM (3560) upgrade with ARB OME. Got the MT64 instead of nitrochargers. Have driven just 400 kms yet but ride quality seems as good as factory.
Too soon to form an opinion I think.

Anyways I am planning to get some modifications done and the first one that comes to mind, is the bullbar with recovery points and bash plates. I very much like the look of half bars like ironman raid, offroad animal predator etc, but have convinced myself not to go for looks but go for the usefulness of the full bar.

I did get some quotes and i think ARB and Offroad animal fall under the expensive category, whereas Ironman and the Toyota genuine (surprisingly) are the value ones.
Just to give some idea, ARB Summit bar with recovery point and plates come around $7200 installed, and for genuine its around $5600.

Its hard for me to understand why genuine is significantly cheaper than ARB. Similarly I would have thought Ironman and Offroad animal are in same ballpark, but IM cost is similar to Toyota and OA cost is similar to ARB (a bit less). Can you guys help me out here please; I am open to suggestions on other brands as well which have good support in Australia.
I am not looking to install winch (maybe never). Front recovery points, rear hitch receiver and a pair of maxtrax will be my only recovery options.
Radio and driving lights are in my wishlist but may be not immediate. Still recovering from the cost of buying the car in the first place :)

Also not sure if I should look to save money on the bash plate, i.e. if the factory underbody protection is good enough. I am not an extreme offroader or even an experience offroader. It feels like a hard plastic, dont know if it will do any good if I hit something by mistake.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tonysmc - Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 11:50

Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 11:50
Hi Kratos, I am not sure about the 300 series, however with the hilux genuine Toyota bar you need to buy a separate expensive kit to fit a winch and the bar has to be completely removed to install it. I would check and see if it is the same with the 300 bar and even though you said you are not looking to fit a winch, I would get a bar that you at least have the option to easily fit one later if you ever decided too.
AnswerID: 645737

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 12:13

Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 12:13
ARB have a very good name, and charge accordingly.
They do look good though, but if hitting a kangaroo at 100k/ph, I’m not sure one is far and away better than another.
This could turn into a long debate, so sit back and read all the replies.
You talk about support ? Once the bar is on, what sort of support do you mean ?
AnswerID: 645739

Reply By: Member - William B - Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 12:27

Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 12:27
One thing to check is if any of the bars don't come with rated recovery points. That would be an expense on top of the bar purchase

I went with ARB over the Isuzu bar for my Dmax because the Isuzu one didn't have recovery points.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645740

Follow Up By: kratos - Sunday, Apr 28, 2024 at 00:46

Sunday, Apr 28, 2024 at 00:46
Both ARB and Toyota are charging separately for recovery points... this price I mentioned includes it.
FollowupID: 926108

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 13:35

Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 13:35
Having had a working life on large stations, bull bars are more or less mandatory for me, along with side rails for added protection. Many b’bars offer a great deal of frontal protection, but do so with a weight penalty of 80kgs or more. When buying a new LC 79 ute in 2015, I opted for the Toyota bar & side rails, and 125,000 kms later haven’t regret that decision. I rarely do much, or any, night driving these days, so with the aid of good LED driving lights, haven’t had any serious altercations.

Bash plates can be worthwhile, but in some remote travel, they tend to collect plenty of dry matter, spinifex etc, that increases the fire risk. On one remote trip, Connie Sue, Gary H’way & western side of Rudall NP, 2 of the vehicles in our group were regularly removing grass from underneath, while the 2 Landcruisers only needed a casual check.

To me, b’bars are designed to protect the cooling system of the engine, so you get home to fill in an insurance claim form. Hanging lights & aerials off it are just a bonus. Without upper bows & uprights, it’s just an expensive bumper. Nothing protects your vehicle from a high speed hit on cattle, horses, donkeys or camels. In fact, hitting a camel can be life threatening!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645741

Follow Up By: kratos - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 16:07

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 16:07
Thanks Bob,

Do you happen to know if Toyota genuine bars can be fitted with spot lights (round ones)?
I asked the service team where I bought, after 3 transfers, one guy said it can be done but has to be done outside (not by Toyota service). Toyota genuine only supplies a small light bar for extra price.
FollowupID: 926209

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 14:55

Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 14:55
Search for Project 300

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645742

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 15:55

Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 15:55
Kratos
If the GVM upgrade was done before purchase, how will you ever know if the ride is different? You didn't drive the vehicle before purchase did you? Maybe with a trade plate test drive?

If you are not, by admission, "off road" oriented are you now going to begin the experience?
I would drive the thing and learn how it handles and performs before deciding on VERY EXPENSIVE add ons which may never be required.
$7000+ for a bull bar is madness.
For a rear Hitch receiver you need to have a towbar fitted prior! and even then someone else is doing the recovery for you!
A UHF is handy item to have and perhaps additional lighting to flood the area in your braking distance and a bit beyond. Light to see the next mountain are useless and just a waste. If travelling at night EVER, these would be first. Tyres to suit conditions might be a good investment if going off road!
AnswerID: 645743

Follow Up By: kratos - Sunday, Apr 28, 2024 at 00:57

Sunday, Apr 28, 2024 at 00:57
I didnt have to wait much for the car, I took two test drives in Feb, and didnt notice any difference in ride quality. Having said that, yes its limited experience.

7000+ is indeed a lot of money, that is why I thought of taking opinion of others in this forum.
Every company charges for bash plates and recovery points separately, but the bar and installation itself is quite pricey.
But in general I think besides providing the animal collision protection, bull bars also improve the front angle for any sort of offroading. I think I will rip off the front bumper very easily if I dont get that clearance.
I will check with Toyota as per @tonysmc comment, if it needs additional winch support kit or not.

I did have towbar fitted along with 7 pin wiring and ARB brake controller before delivery. My sales person gave me a deal to include those instead of giving any discount on the vehicle price.
FollowupID: 926109

Reply By: Andrew L - Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 11:34

Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 11:34
I wouldnt be surprised if ARB didnt make the factory steel bullbar, that said, consider the weight you will be carting around with any mod you make, check the weight of an ironman bar to an arb tjm or opposite lock.
The bars that look good and do nothing to protect, also mount straight to the chassis via 6 bolts per side and ive seen cracked chassis from the sub standard engineering.(on the 200's)
AnswerID: 645753

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 08:26

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 08:26
Hi Kratos,

I read this post when it was first listed, but did not comment at the time. I have had a chance to check a couple of articles recently relating to Bull bars. I like the look of the Offroad Animal Bull bars, one feature that I find is extremely good is that you do not have to remove the bar in order to either fit, or remove a winch.

They have a couple of different design bars, both are a replacement to the original bumper bar. One is basically a stronger bumper bar without any vertical bars or “hoops”, and the other looks like most other Bull bars with vertical bars and a “hoop”. I prefer to have the “full” Bull bar with the vertical bars and hoops, as it will offer more protection to the front of the bonnet, grill and potentially the radiator. Of course any decent size animal strike may still crush the front end onto the radiator, but the full bar may offer more protection from smaller animal strikes.

Another consideration if using the bar to mount a UHF radio antenna, is that the full bar will have more side to side rocking movement at the top owing to the top being more distance from the mounting point of the bar. Provided you have a quality UHF Antenna mount, this may not be an issue, but it is something you need to consider when choosing your UHF Antenna.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645834

Reply By: kratos - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 16:23

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 16:23
Thank you all for your time...
I went ahead with Toyota genuine full steel bar. Paid advance for the parts and now waiting for it to come to the service center.

The savings were significant for me to look elsewhere... Total for the parts came up to $4117 including bash plates and recovery points and all harnesses (camera and collision sensors). With the labour cost of around $1600, I will save at least $2k.
Although I too think ARB looks better... Not too sure about offroad animal... couldn't make up my mind on its looks.

UHF and driving lights are in my wish list. I might get the 7" spotlights afterwards... Toyota guys do not install aftermarket lights... and Toyota only gives a small (20" i think) lightbar. Spotlights are much cheaper too subjectively... since it available in every price range if you are looking to spend. I dont want to spend more than $200-300 for a set of two plus labour. Let me know if you guys have any recommendations.

UHF is a new area for me... need to watch youtube videos :) Also I am hoping starlink brings satellite cellphones soon, which might remove the need for UHF partially. Too much clutter inside the cabin with UHF.
AnswerID: 645837

Sponsored Links