Palomino SS500 slide on camper

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2020 at 17:55
ThreadID: 140068 Views:8274 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,
We are looking at the palomino SS500 slide on camper.
We are on the Gold Coast and wondering if anyone in the area has one and wouldn't mind us taking a look at it ?
Crazy request I know, but it's an 8 hour plus round trip to the show room.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 19:10

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 19:10
Be useful to know where it was?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 631771

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 20:59

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 20:59
Amy Z wants to look at one someone has near them on the gold coast, so they have a better idea what they might be getting before driving 8 hours to see something that mightn't suit.
FollowupID: 908016

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 21:24

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 21:24
Peter. the distributor of said campers is in Hervey Bay, a fair drive from the Gold Coast.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 908017

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 23:36

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 23:36
:oops:
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 908022

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, May 25, 2020 at 21:32

Monday, May 25, 2020 at 21:32
Can't help with a viewing Amy but I can speak to the quality of the campers. My wife and I had a Palmino Real Lite (2012) which we picked up new in Illinois and then mounted on the rear of our F250 in Canada. While slightly larger than the one you're looking at, we were very happy with the quality of the units. We drove the unit all over Canada and Alaska including the Dempster Hwy etc. No real issues with the camper and it is still going strong in Canada where it was sold to friends.

It will serve you well in most travel situations in Australia but again, we were hard pressed to find Aussie like corrugations in any of our Travels on the North American Continent. Plenty of Ice, snow and the occasional blizzard but no corrugations :-) (Couple of videos below).

Good luck with it. I'm confident you'll be happy with your purchase.

Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631772

Follow Up By: Amy Z - Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 06:52

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 06:52
Thanks Mick !
That's reassuring ! The fact their are limited secondhand, hopefully tells a good story also.
We are limited to options, as we have toddler children and a dual cab.
We have a few ideas in terms of modifying the bed / dinette area until such time the children are old enough to sleep out in the annex.
Until we are actually in the space it's hard to know what would and wouldn't work.
Your trip through Canada looked amazing !
FollowupID: 908024

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 09:25

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 09:25
It was a great time thanks Amy and we wish we'd bought the camper home as some of our travel companions did. Mind you it was a tub bed model. The variation for the Australian slide on version seems to have a lot more storage etc by making them a square box arrangement.

We also found that a side awning was a great idea so if that is an inexpensive option, I'd consider it. We had a friend travelling with us who was in the tent so when it was inclement, he would set up under the awning for added protection from the elements.

I won't break your heart with what they cost back then in the US. The Aussie $ was at US$1.05 a far cry from today.

Cheers
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908028

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 07:58

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 07:58
Hey Mick

Just watched your movies .............. brought back many memories of our 5 years in Alberta, including some 50 degrees below days, when the propane tank gas turned to jelly.

Fabulous country and people.

Cheers and thanks for the memories
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631778

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 09:30

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 09:30
Cheers Jim., Very different country all right. We still spend a fair bit of time back there each year with friends in Ontario. Cabins up in the Lake Country are fun in either Winter or summer. ATV's and cruising on the lake in the warmer weather and snow mobiles in the winter. A lot of fun. That -36C needs to be experienced to be believed lol.

Glad you enjoyed them.

Mick

P.S. At the risk of hijacking Amy's thread, here's another one of the Canadian National Sport (other than Ice-hockey that is).

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908029

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 20:49

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 20:49
Hi Amy,

Are you really sure you want a slide on camper? They can be top heavy, leading to excessive body roll. They can also be so heavy that they bend or break dual cab ute chassis. Would a small camper trailer or wind up caravan be a better option?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631802

Sponsored Links