Anyone up for doing the Gunbarrel Hwy

G’day.

Please humour me.... Maybe I live in a dream world but I’m hopeful that Australia will be open for travel by September. We had planned to cross the Simmo towards the end of September and then cross to Perth by the Anne Beadell before the shutdown.

I’m now thinking of going via the Gunbarrel Hwy instead. I particularly want to do the Old Gunbarrel but at least two vehicles are required to be able to get the permit.

If there is anyone on the forum that would be interested in doing the Simmo and Gunbarrel or just the Gunbarrel around that time please let me know.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 13:46

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 13:46
I think you may be living in hope, as state borders are going to remain closed for a very long time to come.

If our South Australian borders are open in the near future, you eastern states first have to show you can control Covid19, something that is not happening at the moment.

I would love to head interstate this year, but will be be quite content to be able to travel anywhere within South Australia, as we have so much to see.

Keep safe and all we can do is hope the eastern states get it under control
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631721

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 14:51

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 14:51
I agree with Stephen, l would love that to happen but I believe your dreaming, it will be one thing for boarders to open but a totally different thing to travel thru native lands or remote communities, I have a gov contract to service safety equipment & that’s been put on hold or cancelled until further notice & this covers most states & territories & a lot of remote islands, but we can live in hope
FollowupID: 907910

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 11:59

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 11:59
Echo what Stephen and Vince said. WA/NT/Qld could possibly have a "bubble", but from here in WA I wouldn't expect your timeline to have a snowball's hope.

There is no sign of a let-up in the no-permit policy for the GCR even, and that closed before the WA border.
FollowupID: 908032

Reply By: ModSquad - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 14:52

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 14:52
Well we can only hope it comes true Buzzo. It would also be a good idea to enter this in the members trip and gatherings area where it will remain visible to all for the foreseeable future.

A post on the forum will soon disappear down the page and into archive land where people can't reply.

Give it A crack.

Cheers,

The Squad.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 631724

Reply By: Member - Buzzo - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 17:12

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 17:12
Thanks Stephen and Vince, I am keeping all that in mind. I’ve had a glimmer of hope after making a few calls that’s all.

Excellent, thank you ModSquad. I’ll do that. I don’t post much and still need to know these things.

Cheers
AnswerID: 631726

Reply By: Member - 2208mate - Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 09:54

Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 09:54
It doesn't hurt to be optimistic Buzzo and planning is enjoyable in it's own right... IMO

The GB has 2 'Old' bits, the Mulga park road bit seems less traveled these days as well.(visit the base of Mt Conner if you get a chance)

The Grand Central road and it's extensions seem to be slowly getting renamed.

I last went via the authentic as possible way in 2017 and intend to go again 2022. There was still plenty of Len Beadell spoor and hopefully all will continue to be good in the future.
AnswerID: 631737

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 11:12

Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 11:12
You might have an issue getting access beyond the Mulga Park Road, this leads through the APY Lands, and permits are very hard to get.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 907937

Follow Up By: Member - 2208mate - Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 13:32

Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 13:32
No trouble last time, next time could be anything..

I'm of the opinion that all iconic roads should be made PAR's irrespective of ownership, of course that's just my opinion, thus far nobody has listened to me hehe
FollowupID: 907940

Reply By: Member - Buzzo - Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 13:40

Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 13:40
Thanks for the positive feedback Mate... You’re right about the planning it’s all a part of the enjoyment. Plus it seems I’ve got a lot more to do. I hadn’t even heard of the Mulga Park Road section until you and Macca mentioned it. Thank you both.

We’ve made a few calls and are hearing the permits are achievable BUT how long they take are another question. That brings me back to the start..... I can’t even think about applying for one if we haven’t got two vehicles. I’m wishful thinking for later this year because a lot has changed in the last couple of weeks. If we can’t do it this year we will be organised for when we can.

Cheers
Steve
AnswerID: 631739

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 14:44

Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 14:44
My feeling is States will soon open up .I think the States That are putting Politics first will soon be pressured to open up for the good of the country .
Cheers
FollowupID: 907975

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 18:35

Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 18:35
The vibe here in WA is that the government will be in no hurry to allow interstate travel. They are standing firm under pressure to lift intrastate restrictions so no suggestion they would act early on the border closure.

I think September and if it's earlier well and good.

Access to aboriginal lands may well be another issue. I could see that being denied for a while longer.

We can only keep on hoping and planning.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 907978

Reply By: Member - Maccaman194 - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2020 at 07:15

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2020 at 07:15
Hi Buzzo
I am planning to come back west to east around that time if the borders open. Last part of a trip I am doing involving Red Centre then Tanami, Bungles, Kununurra, Kimberley, Broome, Karajini, Exmouth, Ningaloo, Shark Bay, Kalbarri, Gunbarrel Hwy or Central Road, then back to Maitland via Oodnadatta and Cameron Corner.
Timing all depends on borders and permits.
Wish list itinerary has me leaving here 18th August, and being at Mt Magnet on 2nd October. Home 17th October.
I would still go if delayed 3 weeks but no later - too hot.
Travelling with 1 other couple.
cheers
Peter
AnswerID: 632040

Follow Up By: Member - Buzzo - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2020 at 17:40

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2020 at 17:40
G’day Peter, great to hear someone else is as delusional as I with travel hopes and plans this year. Though reality is slowly choking my enthusiasm.

That’s a great trip you’ve got planned.

From what I can work out, the borders may open in your time frame with luck. The federal government apparently is responsible for the opening of
“bio security” areas and that’s up for review 17/9. So that’s cutting it fine. Apparently permits for the Great Central Road and the Gunbarrel Hwy are issued on the spot. The abandoned section of the Gunbarrel would take around two weeks to get the permit in normal situations. That’s going to count me out....

All the best.
Cheers
Steve
FollowupID: 908477

Reply By: Member - Maccaman194 - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 09:20

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 09:20
Hi Steve
If they open the state borders but not the restricted areas, I can still come back via the Nullabor. The Mereeni Loop at Red Centre Kings Canyon through to Alice might be out though - I have to get a permit for that at Kings Canyon Resort
AnswerID: 632060

Sponsored Links